Ente Sakadangal... Padam onnu ( My vehicles.. part 1)

Everyone enjoys driving… at least in the younger days. Enjoys the rolling wheels of a cycle… Enjoys the grip on the handle bar… Enjoys the steering wheel … Enjoys controlling a machine…..




My passion for driving began at age 5. What’s unusual about it, na?! all boys at this age will cry for a baby cycle. And my ‘passion’ also limited to that!



Some 35 years back….

My first cycle was a 3 wheeler, don’t know who brought that for me! Those days in Navakode, probably it was a Ferrari and everyone was on it, except me. I remember the likes Muthuettan riding it and finally had to break.



Cycle repair shops used to be a mark of ‘development’ for any localities and Navakode boasted of 2 such shops. One owned by Periya atha and other was by Basha annan. Periya atha ( Father’s elder brother, one can translate) was last word in cycle ‘technology’ and basha annan’s arrival probably threatened his realm. But he was still the Ilayaraja and arrival of Rahman could not dethrone him. For some mysterious reasons, many dubbed periya atha as ‘Gulab Jamun” ! Let that mystery remain a mystery and that’s not my topic here. I did not like to call him that way either…..



My cycle broke into 2 pieces… It could no more support the weight of those who rode it. One piece with front wheel and the handle bar with half of the triangular shaped strut ( need to google it know the correct name of this piece) and the back wheels with the remaining portion and the pedals. Poor me..!! my passion for driving took a beating. But I was not ready to put those brocken pieces in the corner. I had hope in Periya atha!



But, my hope took a beating too! Rather, my heart came apart the same way as my cycle- into pieces! Periya Atha assessed my cycle as BER - Beyond Economical Repair. Tears rolling down, I looked at my first passion shattered in pieces; did I murmur ‘Gulab Jamun?! It was not his fault, then why did I?



Can’t imagine another new cycle to revive my passion. Amma had her excuses, “again those people will ride on it and break it”-



I was not gonna give up… I went back to the corner, took the piece with handle bar with front wheel and hanging strut. Started running with it, with the wheels on ground, holding the handle. The hanging strut was being dragged on the ground making a mark on the soil… I liked the idea. I started enjoying it… Enjoying the handle bar…..



Present ….

Vava learned cycling few days back… since then she is on it. Till yesterday, when it’s front wheel spokes are damaged.



Need to repair…..

പെരിയ അത്ത യുടെ ആത്മാവിനു ശാന്തി നേര്‍ന്നു കൊണ്ട്...
 
എസ്സയെസ്.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay Diwas 1

Yibal, (Oman ) Days Part 1

Pana Swaminathan